Saturday, July 2, 2011

You are so WEIRD!


This was actually written in response to a post by “About the Same.”   I am a huge fan and encourage you to read her work.  Because this became as long as it is, I decided to post it here.

Those of you who know me, know I am weird, have been for as long as I've had a memory.  Those of you who don't know me...I am completely comfortable in my skin; I am me.  Like it, love it, hate it, you get me and my warts, I’ve lived with them my whole life you’re only here for a little bit, you’ll survive.

So, I realized that I needed to instill in my daughter a comfort with her inner weirdness.  She has two older brothers.  I had less practice with them so I did it more accidentally with them. 

One of my sons is a brilliant geek, barely able to find his shoes...he's smarter than just about anybody I've ever known and I can't wait to find out where life takes him. If we don't lose him first - Lose as is hhhheeeyyyy wwwhhheeerrrreee are you????  His brother is weird in his own way but let's face it, the truth is he is a bit conventional, one might even him call him a bit of a traditionalist. He's smart, successful, judgmental, but not too judgmental, open minded but not too open minded, incredibly empathic and consequently very concerned about the feelings and sensitivities of those around him.  He is a Bubba, he likes dirt and mud and hunting and fishing.  (GASP...even likes...say it isn't so...country music like his father) See he's weird too.  Just different weird. 

OK, back to my girl, when she came along I realized it was time to not just accept their individual weirdness, but to embrace it...to champion it and to shout it from the roof top!  "I'm weird and proud of it!"  We say things like "OMG thank GAWD I am not normal" and "you're weird" which is always followed by "thank you, you're weird too."  The highest form of insult between her and I?  "OMG...she's so NORMAL!"  We, thankfully, rarely if ever say that...whew!

As a result, my daughter at 11 is, dare I say it, completely comfortable being her.  She has a healthy sense of community and deep and abiding respect for those around her, she cares about lots of stuff...BUT most importantly...she likes being her...just the way she is. 

I don't know if this will survive the teenage years.  I hope so.  I think so, but life as a teenager especially a beautiful weird teenage girl can be challenging. 

The point is this,  IF we teach them early that we love their differences and in fact celebrate them... well...well then who would be weird???

1 comment:

  1. Hurray for embracing the WEIRD in us!! (... the 40-year-old in pigtails types as she listens to Disco while painting her bathroom blue and white because it's sorta nautical...??) I will follow your lead with my baby girl. She's 3 and has decided - on her own - to be the goalie on her soccer team. Bear in mind that soccer teams for 3-year-olds don't have actual positions. But my baby girl is weird like that. Yay!

    ReplyDelete